Marketing teams with small budgets, or advertisers looking to strengthen their marketing campaigns, are often on the look-out for free software additions to add to their tools. Amongst SEO platforms there is often one insight tool that gets overlooked: Google Trends.
Designed with journalists in mind, this nifty tool is also invaluable for brands and their marketing teams to gather a wealth of data on search terms and popular interests, which can then be utilised for a range of driven activities including paid search, SEO and content marketing channels.
What are Google Trends?
Powered by search result data, Google Trends is a platform that displays metrics about a host of search queries and can be used as powerful insights and analysis tools for your digital strategy.
The platform is simple to navigate, and it’s easy to use which means that it takes a relatively small amount of time to get to grips with and explore.
Google Trends and Digital Marketing
Here we have gathered some of the most popular ways you can put the platform to use to support your marketing activities, to begin with:
- Use it as a powerful keyword research tool. Similar to Google keyword planner, Google Trends can be used to indicate the level of search volume of your desired keywords. Discover related keywords that are currently drawing in more traffic, or find more relevant keywords based on your search to help boost your content.
- Use it to see the popularity of search terms. Whereas Google keyword planner only shows the total search volume for keywords, Google Trends frames this in a context of popularity – so you can see how the search terms compare.
Being able to see the most popular keywords also allows you to view the least popular keywords for your given topic/search, this gives you the space to avoid these low-ranking keywords in favour of those more likely to drive traffic to your website.
- Use it for competitor research. You can use Google Trends to research the popularity and overall sentiment towards your competitors’ branded searches. Use the ‘Compare’ feature to look at what a competitor is ranking for in comparison to your company, and use it to look at what you are doing well or for ways you might be able to improve.
- Use it to spot seasonal trends. Google Trends diagrams are presented in a format that makes it easy to spot seasonal spikes in traffic. You can use this data to inform your marketing campaigns and make sure you’re prepared to capitalise on key traffic volume at the right time. Black Friday is an excellent time to check on your seasonal Google Trends to help boost sales.
- Use it to see how cultural events affect your brand. You can see where certain dates or periods attract huge surges in volume and use this to your advantage.
Key cultural dates, like the Olympics or Royal Weddings, have a huge effect on search volumes on a variety of relevant topics. Brands can research a host of search terms relevant to their service and look for patterns that could strengthen future marketing activity.
- Use it to segment geographical data. Google Trends allows you to view search queries by country – so you can see exactly which trends work in particular locations.
Check out the Google Trends map for insights into geographical data and local SEO. You can then use the data you have discovered to create customised content and marketing campaigns for your business.
- Use it to find related search terms. Google Trends displays a list of related topics for your query – which you can use for inspiration for keyword research.
- Use it to see what’s trending currently. The platform’s home screen displays current stories which are trending worldwide (these can be segmented by location and by topic) which can help you decide what trends to jump on in real-time (and inspire relevant content ideas).
- Use it to see how interests have changed over time. You can view the decline (or rise) in the popularity of search terms over time – giving you a much better understanding of your audiences’ searching habits.
Get started with Google Trends with help from Peaky Digital today
Ready to unleash your brand's capabilities in 2023?
Brand awareness, business growth or a bigger and better ROI, our team of digital specialists are here to help you get the most from your brand. Let's start a new partnership today.
Related News Articles
Sep 21, 2023
A picture is worth a thousand words, and in the marketing world, we know how effective…